Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling
A Rewarding Career Opportunity
As a vocational rehabilitation counselor, you will generate solutions and empower people to succeed.
Do you like working with other people? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of others?
Think about a career in vocational rehabilitation.
The West Virginia Division of Rehabilitation Services is continually seeking qualified vocational rehabilitation counselors for positions throughout the state. You can learn more about these and other available jobs in vocational rehabilitation by routinely checking out Careers at DRS.
Vocational rehabilitation counselors receive intangible rewards of helping others, personal growth and opportunities for learning.
- You will work with individuals with all types of disabilities, representing a diverse population.
- You will use your education and skills to assist individuals in choosing a career.
- You will work with hundreds of people over the course of your career.
- You will mentor people.
- You will help people learn about themselves, their strengths and abilities.
- You will help a person change his or her career.
- You will be assisting people to make changes you never know about.
Working for DRS offers vocational rehabilitation counselors the opportunity to focus on work-related counseling and guidance and assisting individuals with disabilities in achieving employment outcomes.
- Perform comprehensive assessments to examine eligibility factors, rehabilitation needs and capabilities/strengths of an applicant for vocational rehabilitation services
- Work with consumers to develop individualized employment plans and arrange for needed services
- Provide vocational rehabilitation and job placement services
- Maintain and develop liaisons with referral services and service providers
- Prepare case records and reports
State employment offers a sense of security and an opportunity to obtain benefits and plan for future years.
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Employer retirement contribution
- Annual increment pay
- Training and development
- Free life insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Comprehensive medical insurance
Do you have a bachelor's degree in counseling and guidance, social work, nursing, special education, or a related behavioral science or human service field?
The vocational rehabilitation counseling field at DRS provides opportunities for growth and promotion through its career ladder, which includes the following positions:
- Rehabilitation Services Associate
- Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee
- Rehabilitation Counselor
- Rehabilitation Counselor, Senior
- Rehabilitation Counselor, Certified
Want to know more?
If you are interested in learning more about being a vocational rehabilitation counselor for the West Virginia Division of Rehabilitation Services, please contact:
Division of Rehabilitation Services
State Capitol PO Box 50890
Charleston, WV 25305