Transition from school to work

DRS can help students with disabilities make the transition from high school to training, postsecondary education or employment.

Graduation is just the beginning!

What’s in your employment future? What work choices will you make? These are big questions.

For many, the West Virginia Division of Rehabilitation Services is a great place to start.

Do you have significant limitations with physical activities, learning, driving, seeing, hearing, or coping with stress? If so, you may be eligible for transition assistance to help you answer your work-related questions.

What is transition?

The assistance we provide is a combination of work-related counseling and guidance tailored to each person’s unique needs. We help students find their own best path from the familiar school environment to the world of gainful employment.

What we do

We provide a wide range of services to help people get and keep jobs. Because everyone is different, services are customized for each individual.

Why DRS?

  • We help you achieve your work goals.
  • We help you realize the rewards of work: independence, reliable income and personal satisfaction.
  • We can help with education in community rehabilitation programs, vocational schools, community and technical colleges, state colleges and universities.

How much does this cost?

Most vocational assistance to eligible students is provided at no cost, but some related services may be covered by insurance or other funding sources. We help our clients to explore those options.

DRS Services

Depending on the needs of an individual, DRS services may include:

  • Medical and Psychological Assessment
  • Vocational Evaluation and Planning
  • Career Counseling and Guidance
  • Work-related Training and Education
  • Worksite Assessment and Accommodations
  • Job Matching
  • Job Coaching
  • Supported Employment
  • Assistive Technology
  • Short-term Medical or Psychological Services
  • Driver Evaluations
  • On-the-Job Training

Where to begin?

Contact us through a school counselor or school nurse, or check here to find the office nearest you.